The State of Iowa recognizes the challenges of balancing work and the demands of everyday life. The DAS Healthy Opportunities website provides a wide array of information designed to empower you to take charge of your health.
2014 Healthy Opportunities Wellness Program
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Healthy Opportunities Wellness Program Overview webcast (08/27/13)
Healthy Opportunities Wellness Program News and Information
Healthy Opportunities Wellness Program Partners
Wellness News and Information
Better Choices, Better Health Workshop
A six-week Better Choices, Better Health workshop will be held for state employees beginning in February. Better Choices, Better Health (also known as the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program) helps adults manage the symptoms of chronic diseases, such as arthritis, heart disease, stroke, asthma, lung disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, and other chronic conditions. This evidence-based program, developed by Stanford University, is held weekly for 2 ½ hours for six weeks. Participants learn:
- Techniques to deal with isolation, frustration, fatigue, and pain
- Suitable exercises for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Appropriate use of medications
- How to communicate effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- Healthy eating and nutrition tips
- How to evaluate treatment options
Please feel free to share this information with anyone else you believe might be interested. Additional information about the program can be found here - http://www.idph.state.ia.us/BetterChoicesBetterHealth/Default.aspx. Additional information about the state employee class can be found in the linked flyer. Space is limited, so register today!
Register Now for Live Healthy Iowa's 10 Week Wellness Challenge
How does it work?
Teams of 2-10 Iowans compete in a web-based competition tracking weight loss and/or activity minutes for 10 weeks.
For $20, each participant will receive:
- Challenge T-Shirt - NEW COLOR in 2014
- Weekly motivational emails
- Personal online tracking page
- Unlimited access to recipes, workouts and health information on the LHI website
- Free registration for Winter and Summer Iowa Games
- One-year magazine subscription
- Chances to win a four-night tropical cruise for two, gift cards, fitness shoes, bikes and more!
- Exclusive discounts at businesses statewide
- ..and more!
To Sign Up Your Team:
- Go to www.livehealthyiowa.org.
- Click on the orange “Join Today” button.
- In the Group ID box, enter “LHIGOV” and click “Submit.”
Lace up your walking shoes. See how a three block walk around the capitol complex adds up to better health.